I started #FridayFavorites back when I started up the blog again and wanted to make sure I kept at least one regular post a week. This was, of course, before I knew there were others out there. But I decided to keep it, especially since I have the whole year planned out.
Today’s topic covers my favorite tropes. Of course, most tropes can go away (I’m looking at you manic pixie dream girl), but there are some that I absolutely love.
- Fake Dating-I feel so cliche saying this but gah! I just love reading books that have this trope and the character(s) not realizing that they like each other. Or one where the characters don’t like each other and then do at the end! It doesn’t matter to me; if there is fake dating in the book, then I’m there! Currently reading one book such as this Boyfriend Material by Alexis Hall. Fake dating and LGBTQ+ characters, yes please!
- Enemies to Lovers-I do love this one but it’s really the following that I love:
- Found Family-I love, love, love the found family in books. I think the love there is just so pure and magical and different than blood families because the characters chose them. It wasn’t out of duty or a need to survive. Sarah J. Maas’s A Court of Mist and Fury portrays this so well!! I love the relationships between all the characters from the Inner Circle of The Night Court! They care about each other so much, but they also all have different personalities and characteristics that make me love them individually as well.
- Continuity nod-These are those little things in books (and movies/shows as well) that hark back to something earlier in the series or from a related series. It’s one of the things Cassandra Clare does really well with her series, I think. Especially, the series that came after The Mortal Instruments, i.e. The Infernal Devices and the Dark Artifices.
- Mentions of Pop Culture-Not sure if this really falls into it, but I think it does. I just love the fact that young adult novels can mention Harry Potter or two characters can have a conversation about Harry Potter with no explanation necessary. And this can be for anything too, Doctor Who, Marvel, any singer/artist, etc. I find it a bit fun, and it always brings a smile to my face.
Let me know your favorite tropes in the comments below!
Happy Reading Darlings!